Nowadays, infrared saunas are becoming increasingly popular as people are looking for new and innovative ways to relax and improve their health. But what exactly is an infrared sauna and how do they work?
While traditional saunas utilise hot air to raise the temperature of the body, infrared saunas employ infrared light directly to raise the temperature of the body.
Infrared sauna vs traditional sauna
Infrared and traditional saunas are both beneficial in their own ways and offer different benefits.
Infrared saunas (or far-infrared saunas) work by heating the body directly with infrared light, rather than heating the air around the body like a traditional sauna. This allows for a deeper, more detoxifying sweat while also providing numerous health benefits. Some of the infrared sauna benefits include improved circulation, sore muscle recovery, detoxification, skin rejuvenation, and stress relief.
While traditional saunas (or steam saunas) do have some health benefits, they are not as effective as infrared saunas in terms of detoxification and provide less deep sweat. Additionally, traditional saunas feel hotter and ideal for a short burst of heat exposure, while infrared saunas are generally more comfortable to sit in for a longer period of time.
What is the temperature of Infrared saunas?
Although infrared saunas do not get as hot as traditional saunas, they can still get quite warm. The temperature in an infrared sauna heat is typically between 45-55 degrees, although some models may go up to 70 degrees.
What is the temperature of traditional saunas?
Since traditional saunas use hot air temperature to heat the body, they can get much hotter than infrared saunas. The higher temperatures in a traditional sauna can range anywhere from 75-95 degrees.
What is the ideal temperature for an infrared sauna?
Getting the ideal temperature for your infrared sauna experience is important in order to get the most out of it. The ideal temperature for an infrared sauna session is between 50-60 degrees. Generally, we recommend starting at 50 degrees and seeing how your body will respond. This temperature range will allow you to sweat profusely and reap all the benefits that infrared saunas have to offer.
From increased blood circulation and skin rejuvenation to detoxification and stress relief, infrared saunas offer a wide variety of health benefits. You can experience these benefits by spending just 30-40 minutes in an infrared sauna a few times a week. Just make sure to drink plenty of water before and after your sauna session in order to keep yourself hydrated.
How does infrared light heat the body?
Full spectrum infrared light refers to the entire infrared spectrum: near-infrared, mid-infrared, and far-infrared.
Near Infrared is the shortest wavelength, and will be absorbed just below the surface of the skin creating a sweat that promotes healing and revitalisation.
Mid infrared is a longer wavelength that can penetrate deeper into the body’s soft tissue increasing circulation, releasing oxygen to reach injured areas.
Far infrared is the longest wavelength which penetrates the fat cells causing vasodilation, where the fat cells vibrate to expel toxins, resulting in the greatest levels of detoxification and stimulate your metabolism.
What are the benefits of infrared saunas?
Practical benefits of infrared:
1. Faster heat-up times. Infrared saunas heat up faster than traditional saunas because they heat the body directly, rather than heating the air around the body. This means that you can get started with your sauna session sooner.
2. Lower temperatures. Infrared saunas can operate at lower temperatures than traditional saunas, which makes them more comfortable to sit in for a longer period of time.
3. Customisable heat settings. Many infrared saunas come with customisable heat settings, so you can adjust the temperature to your liking. This allows you to find the perfect temperature for your needs.
4. Don’t need to be as hot as traditional saunas. Infrared saunas can be just as effective as traditional saunas, even if they don’t get as hot. This is because infrared light penetrates the body deeply, resulting in a deep and detoxifying sweat.
5. Can be used in small spaces. Infrared saunas can be much smaller than traditional saunas, which makes them more convenient to use in a small space.
Health benefits of infrared:
1. Increases circulation. Infrared saunas can help to increase circulation by causing the blood vessels to dilate. This can lead to improved blood flow and a reduction in inflammation.
2. Reduces stress and fatigue. Stress and tiredness can be reduced by using an infrared sauna since it makes the body release endorphins. Endorphins are a class of hormones that have a soothing, relaxing influence on the body.
3. Improves skin health. Infrared saunas can help to improve skin health by increasing circulation and stimulating collagen production. Collagen is a protein that is essential for the health and vitality of the skin.
4. Detoxifies the body. With intense sweat, infrared saunas can help to remove toxins from the body. This can lead to improved liver and kidney function.
5. Relieves pain. Since infrared saunas can increase circulation and reduce inflammation, they can help relieve pain. This is especially beneficial for those who suffer from conditions such as arthritis.
6. Reduces the risk of illness. By stimulating the immune system, infrared saunas can help to reduce the risk of illness. This is because the increased circulation caused by infrared light helps to remove toxins and bacteria from the body.
7. Improves heart health. With so many benefits for circulation, it’s no surprise that infrared saunas can also help to improve heart health. This is because they can lower blood pressure and help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
There are many benefits to using infrared saunas, both practical and health-related. If you are looking for a way to improve your health, an infrared sauna may be a good option for you.
Yes, infrared saunas do get hot
At TH7 BodyLabs, our infrared saunas can get up to 70 degrees. However, they do not need to be this hot to be effective. You can find the perfect temperature for your needs by adjusting the settings on the sauna.
Whether you are new to using infrared saunas or you are a seasoned pro, we have the perfect sauna for you.
If you are interested, come and try an infrared sauna at TH7 BodyLabs. We promise you will get the best infrared sauna experience possible!