The Theragun massage gun is a must-have in terms of muscle recovery and coping with delayed onset muscle soreness.
This is a handheld percussive therapy device designed to boost blood flow and reduce muscle pain while also increasing your range of motion.
It was created by chiropractor Dr Jason after he sustained an injury. He was looking for ways to treat himself in between his regular treatments so that he could recover faster, and this is what he came up with.
A lot of people use this massage gun for sports injuries. It delivers a form of vibration therapy, which is highly effective in terms of muscle recovery.
This type of percussive massage treatment improves muscle contraction and gives lengthening and strengthening of the muscles. But does it help with muscle growth?
Read on to discover everything you need to know about this product, including an insight into the diagnostic research on the Theragun massage, the benefits associated with it, how to use it on a small or large muscle group, and much more.
CAN THE THERAGUN AID IN THE GROWTH OF NEW MUSCLE?
Yes, this massage gun can help to speed up and optimise the muscle growth process. In fact, it is proven to be much more effective than getting a massage from a massage therapist.
During an intense workout, chemical changes happen in the muscle cells. These are normal changes, yet they interfere with contractile function.
When muscle fibres contract, sometimes they do not completely relax, and we have muscle limitations and cramps.
Massage guns help counteract these effects while also speeding up the recovery process, as well as optimising and accelerating the growth of muscles.
HOW TO USE THE THERAGUN?
The good news is that the Theragun massage gun is very easy to use. Whether you are revamping your body after a long day or recovering from a hard workout, here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on the massage gun before you put it on your body. This will enable you to change the power setting before you get started with percussive therapy.
- Now, rest the massage gun on your body. The key here is to simply let the massage gun float on the surface of your muscle without any extra pressure being applied.
- Slowly glide the massage gun across the desired area. If you discover an area of high tension or a knot, spend some extra time on this part of your body to relieve muscle tension. You can also apply some extra downward pressure to stimulate blood flow and make sore muscles a thing of the past.
- Finally, it’s time to relax, breathe, and let the message gun melt your stress away. Practice deep breathing so you can truly relax and get rid of all of that tension.
Alternatively, book a session with us and we will do the hard work for you!
USING THE THERAGUN BEFORE YOUR WORKOUT
Theragun massage guns can be used to “wake up” a person’s muscles before working out. Simply float the Theragun over your muscles for around 30 seconds before you start exercising, and this will activate your muscles.
USING THE THERAGUN FOR WORKOUT RECOVERY
The Theragun massage gun is exceptionally popular for post-activity and recovery. Simply glide the massage gun over your tired muscles for up to two minutes per muscle group.
This will lower muscle soreness and provide immediate relief from the muscle pain you’re experiencing.
DOES THE THERAGUN HELP BUILD MUSCLE – WHAT DOES THE RESEARCH SAY?
Research (by Konrad et al.) has shown that massage guns can be successful in reducing muscle soreness, as well as improving short-term muscle length.
There have also been a number of scientific studies that have suggested that the vibration therapy offered by massage guns will increase blood flow to the muscles, which reduces muscle soreness, increases muscle size, and boosts joint range of motion.
Recent studies have indicated that percussion therapy, which is what massage guns provide, helps to treat muscle fibres up to 30 times more successfully than a traditional massage.
Also, in a study that was published in the Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research in 2014, it was stated that vibration therapy improves kinesthetic awareness, power development, and muscular strength.
IS THE THERAGUN RIGHT FOR YOU?
There are a number of different situations whereby Theragun massage guns are suitable, including the following:
- You want muscle recovery assistance – The main reason people use massage guns is that vibration therapy can relieve you of any soreness you are experiencing after working out. Like a deep tissue massage, this will relieve stress and relax your body by releasing the fluid and tension deep in your muscles to increase tissue metabolism. Massage guns also boost lymphatic and blood circulation, enabling more nutrients and oxygen to reach your muscles.
- You want to grow your muscles – Not only do professional athletes use Theragun massage guns as a form of pain relief by increasing blood flow, but this product is also beneficial in terms of muscle growth.
- You want to wake up your muscles before working out – Percussive therapy is also beneficial for those who are looking to wake up and activate their muscles prior to working out. This can increase your range of motion so that you achieve more while exercising, as well as help to reduce muscle soreness once you have finished working out.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU USE THE THERAGUN ON YOUR MUSCLES?
How long you should use your massage gun does depend on the part of your body you are treating.
We would advise at least 15 seconds and a maximum of two minutes for each muscle group.
A full-body session should not last longer than 15 minutes.
CAN YOU DAMAGE YOUR MUSCLES WITH THE THERAGUN?
Massage gun therapy should not cause muscle damage when carried out correctly.
However, if you hold the gun to your muscles for too long, it can damage the connective tissue in your muscles, as well as the actin and myosin proteins.
This is why you need to make sure you do not hold it onto the same part of your body for longer than two minutes.
CAN I USE THE THERAGUN ON MY ABS?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to use a massage gun on your abs for percussive therapy. This will help to relieve the muscles in your abdomen after working out.
IS IT SAFE TO USE THE THERAGUN EVERY DAY?
Yes, in fact, you are advised to use your Theragun twice per day, depending on your goals. Some people even use it three times a day!
However, we must stress how important it is to make sure that this form of massage therapy does not last for longer than 15 minutes at a time, with the device only being applied to a certain area of your body for between 15 seconds and two minutes.
As you can see, there are a number of benefits to be gained by using the Theragun for effective percussive therapy. It does not matter whether you are a professional looking to improve your athletic performance or you’re simply a regular gym-goer who wants to make sure they reduce the impact of a sore muscle after the gym; this product is a great choice.
You do need to make sure you follow the guidelines in terms of length of use when embracing this massage technique. You won’t feel any extra benefits by holding the Theragun to your muscles for an extended period of time – you simply increase the risks.
To make your treatment as safe as possible, why not book an appointment with us?